The Cathedral of Évora (Portuguese: Sé de Évora) is a Roman Catholic church in the city of Évora, Portugal. It is one of the oldest and most important local monuments, lying on the highest spot of the city. It is part of the historical city centre, and the seat of the Archdiocese of Evora. It was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988. Évora was definitively reconquered from Arab hands in 1166 by Geraldo Sem Pavor (Gerald the Fearless), and soon afterwards the new Christian rulers of the city began to build a cathedral, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. This first building, built between 1186 and 1204, was very modest and was enlarged circa 1280-1340, this time in early Gothic style. The cathedral received several valuable additions through time, such as the Gothic cloisters (14th century), the Manueline chapel of the Esporão (early 16th century) and a new, magnificent main chapel in baroque style (first half of the 18th century). It is the largest of the mediaeval cathedrals in Portugal, and one of its best examples of Gothic architecture. More information...
According to PR-model, evoracathedral.com is ranked 4,105,309th in multilingual Wikipedia, in particular this website is ranked 2,144,989th in English Wikipedia.
The website is placed before decor-garden.com.ua and after emcn.edu.pt in the BestRef global ranking of the most important sources of Wikipedia.